|Live Event Date: 9/20/2022|
|Web Seminar||90 min.||Yes|
The American Competitiveness in the 21st Century Act (AC21) provides applicants whose I-485 has been pending for 180 days or more eligibility to “port” the approved I-140 to a new job or employer. The panelists on this beginner seminar will examine key considerations, including whether the new job meets the same or similar classification criteria. They also will discuss the implications regarding nonimmigrant visa (NIV) status, when an amendment may be required, and how to leverage a pending adjustment application during a job transition.
- When Can AC21 Portability Provisions Be Invoked?
- What Constitutes a Same or Similar Occupation?
- How to Calculate the 180-Days-Pending Requirement
- What Is a Material Change and When Should an Amendment Be Filed on an NIV?
- Weighing Reliance on an Employment Authorization Document vs. NIV Status?
AILA Membership Benefit – Access to Free Seminar Recordings (CLE Credit Available for $35)
Enjoy access to free seminar recordings (from October 2020–present) as an AILA Member. AILA encourages live attendance for those wishing to ask the speaker questions. CLE credit is included with purchase for live participants.
Recordings will be available approximately two weeks after the live event date. AILA members can access these seminars, with no CLE credit, for free. Recordings are CLE eligible in most jurisdictions and an administration fee is required to obtain CLE credit.
Maggie M. Murphy (DL), AILA Board of Governors/DOL Liaison Committee/USCIS Field Operations Liaison Committee, Austin, TX
Maggie Murphy is a Partner with BAL in Austin, Texas. She specializes in complex, creative business immigration solutions. She has over 20 years of technical experience in immigration law and is an industry leader in PERM, I-9/E-Verify compliance and Business Visa case types. She is a frequent speaker and author on business-related immigration topics.
Lisa J. Locke, Reston, VA
Lisa J. Locke is an associate with Goel & Anderson, LLC. She has been recognized in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America™ in the field of Immigration Law since 2021. Ms. Locke received her J.D. from Georgetown University Law Center (2011).
Yova Borovska, Tampa, FL
Yova Borovska is an attorney at Buchanan Ingersoll and Rooney PC. She is Board Certified in Immigration & Nationality Law by The Florida Bar. She received her J.D. from Stetson University College of Law in 2010. She recently served three terms as the Treasurer of AILA’s Central Florida Chapter.
Eligible participants can receive up to 1.8 CLE credit hours. AILA will administer CLE credit only to individuals who register and log into the web seminar. AILA cannot verify your attendance and participation in this program unless you register directly for the web seminar and use your name to log in to participate in the program. Therefore, persons who log in or listen in on the web seminar as part of a group will not be able to obtain CLE credit.
Please note that your jurisdiction may limit the amount of distance learning credit you can earn. To view details on your jurisdiction's credit restrictions and CLE requirements, visit the CLE Center.
AILA has filed for CLE and specialized credit in all jurisdictions with mandatory CLE requirements. For details about specific approvals, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- AILA applies for accreditation upon attorneys’ request after participation for the following states: AR, DE, IA, ID, KS, KY, LA, ME, MN, MS, OR, TN and WY. Programs are typically approved.
- Florida and Rhode Island - Attorneys must apply on their own for approval of seminars in FL and RI. Programs are typically approved.
- The OnDemand Recording format does not qualify for CLE credit in the following jurisdictions: MO and PR. Please note that your jurisdiction may limit OnDemand credit based on the date of the original presentation. View the OnDemand Downloadable Expiration Chart for more details.
To receive CLE credit for the live event, attorneys must record web seminar attendance and the CLE code provided within one week of the web seminar date via webCLE.