|Event Date: 04/07/2022|
This April 2022 section call, hosted by the Federal Court Litigation Section (FCLS) will focus on habeas corpus challenges to immigration detention. Presented by Matt Adams, Legal Director of the Northwest Immigrant Rights Project, and Kyle Barron, Justice Catalyst Fellow and Staff Attorney at Brooklyn Defender Services, this discussion by two habeas experts will cover:
- The nuts and bolts of a habeas petition;
- Pre-order constitutional challenges to prolonged detention, under INA § 236(c) 236(a), after Jennings v. Rodriguez;
- Challenges to conditions of confinement;
- Challenges to conditions of release, including failure to consider a detainee’s ability to pay bond; and
- Post-order habeas challenges brought under Zadvydas v. Davis.