TN Status Holders: Avoiding Preconceived Intent and Applying for LPR Status - Recording (.MP3)
2:00 PM (ET)
TN professionals must maintain bona fide nonimmigrant intent. Under the United States–Mexico–Canada Agreement (formerly NAFTA) regulations, a TN applicant cannot intend to establish permanent residence in the United States and must satisfy the inspecting officer that the proposed stay is temporary and has a finite end. How, then, is a TN status holder able to apply for adjustment of status (AOS)? Or can they? Our panel of experts will discuss the pros and cons for TN status holders who seek to apply for AOS, and how to avoid a finding of fraud or "pre-conceived" intent.
- Which Issues Arise When a Sponsoring Employer Files Either a PERM Application or the I-140 Petition on the TN's Behalf?
- When Is It Permissible for a TN to Have Future Immigrant Intent?
- Should TNs Only Pursue the Green Card Through Immigrant Visa Consular Processing and Refrain from Applying for AOS?
- When the TN Chooses to Remain in the United States Permanently and Files an AOS Application: Best Practices to Avoid a Finding of Fraud or "Pre-Conceived Intent" Under INA §212(a)(6)(C)
- Overcoming a Potential Finding of Willful Misrepresentation Under USCIS Policy Manual, Vol. 8, Part J, Ch. 3 (A)(3), Where a TN Files for AOS Shortly After Admission to the United States
- The Impact of COVID-19 on TN Status Holders
AILA has filed for MCLE and specialized credit in appropriate jurisdictions. To receive CLE credit, attorneys must record seminar attendance and the CLE code provided via webCLE. Eligible participants can receive up to 1.8 CLE credit hours.
The OnDemand Recording format does not qualify for CLE credit in the following jurisdictions: AR, MO, PR, and TN.
Please note that your jurisdiction may limit OnDemand credit based on the date of the original presentation. Please view the OnDemand Downloadable Expiration Chart for more details. Your jurisdiction may also limit the amount of distance learning credit you can earn. To view details on your jurisdiction's credit restrictions and CLE requirements, please visit the CLE Center. For more information on specific approvals, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
webCLE Terms and Conditions
Please read the webCLE terms and conditions carefully before using this webCLE website. If you do not wish to be bound by these terms and conditions, please do not access or use this site.
If you have any questions about these terms and conditions or webCLE, please contact: CLE@aila.org.