LGBTQ+ Asylum: Representing Clients Seeking Safety - Recording (.MP3)
Our expert panelists will discuss the ins and outs of representing LGBTQ+ clients seeking asylum in the United States. They will cover issues specific to LGBTQ+ individuals, including sensitive topics that need to be addressed when representing members of this population—e.g., preferred names and pronouns, dealing with DHS arguments regarding non-discrimination laws, etc. If you represent LGBTQ+ asylum seekers, or if you want to start, this seminar is a must!
- Crafting a Cognizable Particular Social Group Based on the Client’s Sexual and Gender Identity
- How to Deal with Persecution by Private Actors Post-Matter of A–B–
- Contesting DHS Arguments: Home Country Non-Discrimination Laws, Previous Opposite Gender Relationships, Past Sex Work, and Future Admissibility
- Trans-Specific Issues, Including Name and Gender Marker Changes, Ensuring the Adjudicator Refers to the Client Correctly, and Avoiding Detention Due to Safety Concerns
- Trauma-Informed Representation
AILA has filed for MCLE and specialized credit in appropriate jurisdictions. To receive CLE credit, attorneys must record seminar attendance and the CLE code provided via webCLE. Eligible participants can receive up to 1.8 CLE credit hours.
The OnDemand Recording format does not qualify for CLE credit in the following jurisdictions: AR, MO, PR, and TN.
Please note that your jurisdiction may limit OnDemand credit based on the date of the original presentation. Please view the OnDemand Downloadable Expiration Chart for more details. Your jurisdiction may also limit the amount of distance learning credit you can earn. To view details on your jurisdiction's credit restrictions and CLE requirements, please visit the CLE Center. For more information on specific approvals, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions about these terms and conditions or webCLE, please contact: CLE@aila.org.
Ratings & Reviews
All reviews will be reviewed by AILA prior to appearing on this page.
Be the first to review LGBTQ+ Asylum: Representing Clients Seeking Safety - Recording (.MP3)!