Maintenance of Status: What You Need to Know in the Current Climate
October 15, 2020
2:00 PM (ET)
Our panel of experts will discuss how to advise clients about maintaining legal status during these uncertain times, especially for those impacted by layoffs. They also will offer tips and strategies for providing effective counsel to nonimmigrant (NIV) and intending immigrant clients that fall out of status.
- Effects of Layoffs, Furloughs, Benching, Reduction in Hours, and Gaps in Employment of NIVs (Hs, F-1s (OPT, STEM, and CPT), TNs, L-1s, Os, Es, etc.)
- Change of Status and Maintenance of Status
- B-2 as a Strategy: Important Issues
- F-1: Can the Beneficiary Start Taking Classes Prior to Approval?
- Issues and Tips When Filing "Bridging" Change of Status or Transfer Petitions-e.g., H to B to H
- Adjustment of Status Filings: What Happens When the Foreign National Fails to Maintain NIV Status?
- Advance Parole Travel vs. Travel on H-1B or L-1 with Pending Adjustment of Status
Robert H. Cohen (DL), AILA USCIS HQ (Benefits Policy) Liaison Committee, Columbus, OH
Robert H. Cohen is a partner with Porter, Wright, Morris & Arthur LLP, in Columbus, Ohio. His primary practice includes business and family immigration. He received the 2013 Jack Wasserman Award for excellence in litigation in the field of immigration law and has been listed in the Best Lawyers in America® for Immigration Law every year since 1995. Mr. Cohen is a graduate of Miami University and the University of Cincinnati College of Law.
Janora L. Hawkins, AILA Georgia-Alabama Chapter Chair, Atlanta, GA
Janora L. Hawkins is a partner with Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen & Loewy LLP and Chair for the GA-AL Chapter. Janora has a wide and extensive array of experience in corporate and family-based immigration and focuses her spare time on advocating for immigrant rights.
Tejas N. Shah, Chicago, IL
Lisa Helen York, Denver, CO
Lisa Helen York is a partner at Curray York & Associates in Denver, CO. Her practice focuses on business immigration with an emphasis on the energy/renewable energy, construction and IT industries, as well as representing educational institutions. Ms. York currently serves on the USCIS Case Assistance Liaison Committee. Previously, she served as Chair of the AILA Liaison Taskforce, Chair of the Fundamentals Section of the AILA Annual Conference, and Chair of the USCIS Field Operations Liaison Committee.
By registering for this seminar you agree to abide by the AILA Virtual Code of Conduct.
|AILA Member/International Associates||$129|
|AILA Members’ Paralegals||$129|
|AILA Nonprofit Members||$129|
|AILA Law Student Members||$129|
|Nonmember Law Students||$199|
The Maintenance of Status: What You Need to Know in the Current Climate web seminar takes place Thursday, October 15, 2020, at the times noted below:
- 2:00 pm–3:30 pm eastern time
- 1:00 pm–2:30 pm central time
- 12:00 pm–1:30 pm mountain time
- 11:00 am–12:30 pm pacific time
Tuition AssistanceFull and partial tuition assistance will be offered to participants based on need and availability for all audio and web seminars. Please complete the tuition assistance application for consideration.
AILA has filed for CLE and specialized credit in all jurisdictions with mandatory CLE requirements. For details about specific approvals, please contact us at email@example.com.
- AILA applies for accreditation upon attorneys request after participation for the following states: AR, DE, IA, ID, KY, LA, ME, MN, MS, OR, and WY. Programs are typically approved.
- Florida and Rhode Island - Attorneys must apply on their own for approval of seminars in FL and RI. Programs are typically approved.
To receive CLE credit, attorneys must record seminar attendance and the CLE code provided within one week of the seminar date via webCLE.
webCLE Terms and Conditions
Please read the webCLE terms and conditions carefully before using this webCLE website. If you do not wish to be bound by these terms and conditions, please do not access or use this site.
If you have any questions about the webCLE terms and conditions or webCLE, please contact: CLE@aila.org.