Special Pricing for Members: $59
02:00 PM (ET)
||Live Web Seminar
Jennings v. Rodriguez. The decision held that INA §§235(b), 236(a), and 236(c) do not allow periodic bond hearings for those subject to pre-final order mandatory detention because they are considered "arriving aliens" or because of certain types of criminal convictions. The Court did not decide the constitutionality of prolonged or indefinite detention in these cases. Our panel of experts will explain how this decision affects advocacy for clients subject to mandatory detention.
- Jennings v. Rodriguez on U.S. Circuit Courts of Appeals Decisions Requiring Individualized Bond Determinations After Prolonged Detention (E.g., Sopo v. Attorney General and Ly v. Hansen)
- Seeking Release from ICE on Bond or Through Parole
- Challenging Constitutionality of Prolonged Detention Post-Jennings Through Habeas
|Free Downloadable Seminar Recording Included with Live Registration Included with registration, participants in the live seminar will receive a free downloadable recording of the seminar. It will be available in participant's Agora Digital Library approximately 4-7 business days from the seminar date.
- Veronica Barba (DL), Los Angeles, CA
- Jessica K. Miles, El Paso, TX
- Anthony Enriquez, Director, Unaccompanied Minors Program at Catholic Charities Community Services, New York, NY
The speaker's/author's views do not necessarily represent the views of AILA, nor do they constitute legal advice or representation. Practice tips provided are based on the speaker's/author's experiences and the current state of the law. Please be sure to conduct legal research and analysis for your unique situation as the law changes quickly and experiences may differ from your own.
|Special Pricing for Members: $59
|AILA Member/International Associates
|AILA Members’ Paralegals
|AILA Nonprofit Members
|AILA Law Student Members
|Nonmember Law Students
You can register for this event quickly and securely online by adding this item to your cart and paying by credit card.
The Effect of Jennings v. Rodriguez Decision on Detainee Advocacy
web seminar takes place Monday, May 21, 2018, at the times noted below:
- 2:00 pm-3:30 pm eastern time
- 1:00 pm-2:30 pm central time
- 12:00 pm-1:30 pm mountain time
- 11:00 am-12:30 pm pacific time
The registration deadline for this seminar is 11:59 pm ET on May 20, 2018.
Full and partial tuition assistance will be offered to participants based on need and availability for all audio and web seminars. Please complete the tuition assistance application
Due to the late-breaking nature of the program and jurisdictional requirements, CLE credit is not available for this seminar.
No refunds will be given after the seminar has started.