Private Practice Lawyers and Full Time Law Professors

Any U.S.-licensed attorney that is a member in good standing of a State Bar and in private practice may apply for membership in AILA. Please note that attorneys who are employed by the U.S. Federal government, the Department of Labor, Employment Service or like body are not eligible for membership in AILA. The only exception to the ban on Federal government employees is that Federal Public Defenders are eligible to be members of AILA. Regarding local government employees, please note that state, county, municipal and other local government employees who are not affiliated with the Department of Labor, Employment Service or a like body are eligible for membership in AILA. Applicants must remit both national and chapter dues with their application for membership.

If you have been a member of AILA (including student membership) at ANY time in the past, please do not click on the link below. Please contact

Apply for Membership Online

Law Students

If you are a full-time law student, please download a membership application and submit it to AILA for membership.

Nonprofit Lawyers

Attorneys that are U.S.-licensed and employed on a full-time basis by a registered 501(c)3 (nonprofit organization) and earn less than $65,000 per annum can apply for reduced membership dues. Nonprofit applicants must attach a Request for Nonprofit Status form to their application. Please note! You must complete both the regular AILA Membership Application and the Request for Nonprofit Status form.

Non-U.S. Based Lawyer

U.S. licensed attorneys that reside and work outside of the United States may apply for At-Large membership. At-Large applicants pay national dues only. NOTE: Foreign legal consultants are not eligible for membership.

Non-U.S. licensed attorneys are not eligible for AILA membership. Attorneys who are licensed in the country in which they reside and practice may apply for International Associate status. For more information and application, please contact AILA’s Membership Department by phone at (202) 507-7600 or via e-mail at